Thursday, November 02, 2006

Wow! Two Posts In One Week!!

I haven't done this since my first couple weeks of writing this blog!! I must laugh at myself, though, because even though I am a SAHM, I would have thought I'd have more time to blog...*smacks forehead* What was I thinking?!?! I'm running after my 11-month-old, cleaning, cooking, crocheting, etc.

I started on the tunic for the bishop christening gown...Not sure yet what to call it, though...The sketch I drew looks quite pretty (although I'm no sketch-artist) and the squares are coming along quite nicely. I found two compatible pineapple squares at Celt's Vintage Crochet, which, when worked in #10 thread, come out to 3" and 6", respectively. They line up fairly well, too. Needless to say, I was rather excited about the match. Once the tunic is finished, I'm going to have to ask my mom to show me how to make a decent pattern with an existing garment. As I said before in a previous post, I found a couple vintage bishop-style dresses at a yard sale. The dresses are short (probably come to the knees or just above on a 1-yr-old), so I need to make the pattern quite a bit longer. The dress has smocking on the top, so maybe I could design a simple crocheted bodice? I don't know...We'll have to see. Perhaps soon I can work up a simple pattern for testing, but I don't know how that works since they're someone else's squares I'm using. Maybe I can just make the garments myself and sell them that way, or give credit in a short bibliography either at the beginning or the end of the pattern. I hope my dh has a program here on our pc that will allow me to "draw" the schematics for the dress...that or do some fancy rigging and repeat the squares in order that someone could duplicate the pattern as well in case I need assistance in making more for sales.

I hope sales pick up soon...I had to remove my Garcelle dresses from Rue de Lily in Powell because Karyn needed more room in the shop for her Christmas items. I want to sell dresses and also sell the pattern, but I need to research some more in order to establish a lulu or an etsy account. I've had encouragement from Drew the Crochet Dude to work with lulu.com because the publishing is easy and they don't charge much...I also probably need to get a ProPay or PayPal account so I can collect fees for the patterns, but I'm not sure I want to do that...Right now, I think I'd rather just have people send me the money via snail-mail, so I may just stick with that for the time being.

No comments: